Thursday, January 29, 2009

An Investment We Should All Be Making!

Back in November God blessed me with a part time job. I was convinced (and still am) that God put me in this job for a reason, and it wasn't all about making money. One of the prayers I had while searching for a job was that he would grant me a job in our target area so that I could meet the people of the area and begin to build relationships with them. I was so excited when I got the job because I know that God orchestrated the entire thing.
Fast forward a few months later.

I wasn't so sure I wanted to be there any more. Quite a few of my co-workers were very stand-offish towards me and I was even hearing comments about people had to be careful with what they said about me because I was the "minister's wife" or the "preachers wife". Not only was I branded with the "new girl" reputation, but I had to overcome the "she's a christian" reputation. Needless to say, some days/nights were very long as people did not want to really conversate with me.

I was starting to get pretty frustrated and wanted to start looking for a different job. Why was God putting me in a place that people wouldn't talk to me? What use was I if I wasn't able to talk to the people!!! I kept reminding myself that God put me there for a reason and I just needed to trust that he knew what he was doing.
This past week I've had some awesome conversations with the people I work with. I've been able to really get to know some of the girls - their pasts, their fears, their worries, and even laugh with them.

Jesus reminded me this week that relationships take time. Great relationships aren't built in just a week. I was being impatient and expecting to see "results" immediately. But that's not what we are called to do. We are called to invest in one another. To live in community with one another. To help carry each others burdens. This community takes time to build.

For any of you who are impatient like me - let me encourage you to invest your time and resources into the people God calls you to. Be patient and trust that the Lord knows what he is doing. We may not be able to see the miracles he's working up to, but I guarantee the blessings you'll receive for being part of His work will be amazing!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you for reminding me!